Welcome to our first Meet The Team post! Every couple of weeks, you will get the chance to learn a little bit about each of our team members– their interests, inspirations, daily routines, and all!
Last week I had the pleasure of speaking with Nick DiMatteo, co-founder of Twenty Over Ten. His innovative, charismatic, and goal driven personality never goes unnoticed here. He truly is a tremendous asset to our team. Take a look at our conversation to better get to know Nick:
1) Where were you born/ raised?
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA
2) While a student at Penn State, did you have any projects you completed that you were proud of? Any you would like to share?
While at school I was freelancing on the side and had the honor of doing some work for John Mayer’s label which allowed me to work with some great musicians. In addition, I worked with Ryan on designing and developing the new website for the Graphic Design department at the time.
3) What inspired you to get into graphic design/ website development?
Well, I was in a band when I was in high school and of course we needed a cd and merch, so I ended up doing the design and artwork for all of our stuff. As a result, I started doing artwork and, I know this is dating myself, MySpace layouts for bands throughout the area and for a handful of other bands across the US. That’s really how I got into it, and then pursued it as a career after getting into Penn State.
4) What compelled you to start the company, Twenty Over Ten?
Me and Ryan started working together on a few projects after meeting at Penn State. We worked really well together and one day he approached me to talk about how we could sell our service as a product after we worked on a few independent projects with some financial firms. That’s really what sparked the idea and the rest is history.
5) What is one thing that keeps you going throughout the work day? Any motivational tactics?
Working from a home office can get a little monotonous, so I try to get out of the house a few days during the week and work from coffeeshops, studios, etc. It definitely helps keep me going, and being surrounded by different, talented people is truly motivating.
6) What keeps your creative juices flowing? Is there something specific you do to come up with new creative ideas or rather, does it just come to you while doing work or coming across certain situations?
During the day, I constantly have music playing and usually spend some time when I first get up checking out the latest websites on awwwards and what’s trending on github. Aside from the day-to-day stuff, I try to travel as often as I can, especially since I can work remotely.
7) When you aren’t working, what’s one thing you love to do to unwind?
Binge watching Netflix shows and nature documentaries.
8) Any hobbies? How did you get into them?
I recently got into rock climbing after visiting one of the largest rock climibing facilities in the country. It’s a great way to stay active, especially since I spend most of my time behind a computer. I also bike around the city when I can, and snowboard in the winter.
9) Is there a quote that you live by? Or a saying that’ll always stick with you?
The phrase “Never give up, never give in” has stuck with me over the years. It really helps me stay on track and focus on what’s important.
10) If you can go anywhere in the world for a month, all expenses paid, where would you choose to go? Why?
Probably Berlin, Germany. I hear I’d love it there and being in Europe I could hop around to other cities I’ve always wanted to visit Paris, Rome and Barcelona.
Hope you got to see a sneak peak of who Nick is. Don’t forget to wish him a happy birthday today!