In this webinar, Chief Evangelist of Twenty Over Ten & FMG Suite Samantha Russell and Managing Director, Head of Practice Management of SEI, Shauna Mace discussed the biggest marketing opportunities for advisors as they head into 2022 and how they can work to develop a strong growth strategy.
Developing a Solid Growth Strategy for 2022 Based on the Top Marketing Trends & Business Opportunities from Samantha Russell
Top Marketing Opportunities in 2022 [5:31]
What is pertinent in our industry and how do you take this and capitalize it in your business?
1. Have a Spokesperson [6:07]
This applies whether you are a one-person business or a team.
Visibility comes from thought leadership:
They are seen as an authority, they are seen as credible and they are seen as visible
Get them on camera
The more we see somebody, the more likely we are to rate that we “like it”
People connect with people and not brands
The more we can get one person on camera and get them to be the face of the brand, the more comfortable someone gets with that person.
- Twitter = speaking opportunities and quotes in publication
- LinkedIn = find talent and network with peers
- Facebook = local community
- YouTube = get found (This is the second-largest search engine behind Google)
2. Great Wealth Transfer [18:50]
- Cerulli Associates estimates $68 trillion will move between generations within 25 years.
- Studies suggest that 80%+ look for a new financial advisor after inheriting parents’ wealth. (Study from CNBC)
- 20% of those w/ $25 Million+ want their advisor to establish relationships with their children when they are as young as 18. Establishing these relationships early is key.
The Great Wealth Transfer is Already Happening [19:53]
- 21% of $25MM+ folks attributed some of their wealth to Inheritance.
- 22% of $5M -$25MM attributed some of their wealth to Inheritance
- 66% of the $25 Million+ group cited Inheritance as important to their wealth creation
- Offer free planning to clients’ kids through age 26
- Create College Grad Package (1-year subscription or multiple appointments over a set period of time)
- Establishing relationships early is key
3. Alternative Communication Channels [24:24]
YouTube is the number one recommendation.
Instagram is great for meeting a younger generation, but also a lot of current clients and prospects are spending a lot of time.
YouTube and Instagram have the longest viewership every day just based on the nature of the content that people see.
- There are pennies on the dollar to run ads (Youtube)
- Video makes us feel more connected
4. Be A One-Stop-Shop [29:06]
- 92% expect tax planning advice, only 25% report actually getting it
- 96% expect wealth transfer advice, only 24% get it
- People want 1 Provider/Point of Contact for everything.
- So much marketing opportunity for advisory firms who offer Integrated Services in-house – ESPECIALLY taxes.
5. Incorporate Social Proof [34:14]
Testimonials & Google reviews are game-changers. With the new SEC Ad Rule, you can implement these reviews and testimonials in your marketing, which will really catapult what you can do in 2022. (Make sure you check with your compliance team first.) If you don’t get the green light, however, don’t comment, like or engage in any way as this will look like you are trying to dissuade the reviewer.
As long as your business has a review on Google Maps, anyone can leave you a review now.
New SEC Rule on Reviews and Testimonials
- Check with compliance FIRST
- NEVER respond or “like” reviews until you are clear that you are allowed to engage in this way with home office
- Google and Yelp are the most popular
- Once approved, can use on your website, social, email marketing, etc.
Getting Google Reviews [38:07]
- Claim your GMB listing & complete it fully
- Run a Google Review email campaign
- Include a link in your email signature & a CTA on your website
- Dedicated page with testimonials on your website + link out to Google Reviews
Once you have it all set up though, this sets the stage for collecting reviews. Once you collect these reviews, you can do an email campaign, asking for reviews. But make sure you aren’t “cherry-picking,” you need to ask everyone.
Now What? How To Determine Which Strategies to Implement
Often, the hardest part of growth is knowing what to focus on and how to focus on the tactics that make the most sense right now.
Gain Clarity on Goals With A Business Audit [43:32]
Write down what you want to accomplish and rank yourself across the key seven areas. Understand what your current state is and then figure out your desired state.
- Firm vision and management
- People and culture
- Technology and operations
- Financial planning and client services
- Business development
- Client management
Effective Strategy and Tactics are Informed By: [46:04]
What are your goals for your business? Figure out what you want to accomplish for the next year. Take a look at the demographics of your current business and see which way they are trending. You can have more than one ideal client (typically no more than two) but see which niche you best serve and this will help you to run a stronger business.
The main question to ask yourself: Where do you want to go? And who do you want to go there with?
- What are your goals?
- Who are your Ideal clients?
- What are the strengths and opportunities that I can leverage?
So, start to work backward and figure out what you need to do in order to accomplish your goals. When you list out your goals, another great idea is to pay attention to topics out there and see what you want to be covering.
If you don’t have a goal that you can accomplish quarterly, it’s time to break it down and make it even smaller.
Connect with Samantha and Shauna on LinkedIn:
Samantha Russell: https://www.linkedin.com/in/samanthacrussell/
Shauna Mace: https://www.linkedin.com/in/shaunamace/
Ready to Boost Your Marketing?
Take advantage of stunning and responsive websites and an extensive library of award-winning content to help you grow your business and deepen client relationships with the strategic alliance of FMG Suite and SEI.
About the author
Blair is a Social Media Strategist at FMG Suite and Twenty Over Ten and has a passion for uncovering what drives online traffic and the highest engagement. She follows more animals on Instagram than humans and her greatest achievement is her daughter, Grey.