For today’s Advisor Website Showcase, we caught up with Tom Poltersdorf of Beyond Your Exit Wealth Management. Together, we explored the design and features of the Beyond Your Exit Wealth Management site. Read on to discover how the history and features of the website blend to create an effective marketing strategy.
Using our Fresnel framework, the Beyond Your Exit site uses bright, seemingly backlit colors to play off against a dark background – creating a striking first impression that emphasizes quality.
An emphasis on quality is echoed throughout the site, as the intent of each page is elevated beyond standard expectations. The “About” page provides not only Tom Poltersdorf’s professional background but also goes into specific personal interests. The homepage not only highlights specific services but also backs them up with stats and offers an additional downloadable resource. Altogether, the Beyond Your Exit site emphasizes website best practices to establish a sense of quality.
Below is our Q&A with Tom Poltersdorf, covering the design process, features and marketing of the Beyond Your Exit site. Read on to learn more, and discover inspiration for your own website.
Beyond Your Exit Wealth Management Q&A
1. Can you tell us a bit more about your services and the history of your firm?
I own a fee-only financial planning firm, Beyond Your Exit Wealth Management, and I specialize in helping business owners position themselves for a successful business transition. I’ve been in Financial Services for over a decade and have recently launched my firm in November 2021 with a goal to serve business owners in a much different way compared to the traditional financial advising industry.
Our services start with building a foundation and creating a Personal Financial Plan for the owner(s). This includes tax mitigation strategies, estate planning, charitable giving strategies, and creating a vision for what an owner would want their ideal life to look like pre and post-transition.
Next, we offer Business Planning services, which include analyzing and managing retirement plans, business valuation analysis, exit planning strategies, and assembling your transition team, just to name a few.
Lastly, we offer investment management if the owner has assets for us to manage prior to exit. Once the owner completes their transition and sells their business, we’ll create a custom strategy to invest the net proceeds and create a sustainable income stream.
2. Each of our website frameworks offers users a different experience. The Beyond Your Exit site uses our Fresnel Framework to create a strong, unforgettable first impression. What went into the process of deciding which framework to use?
I knew I wanted to target a very specific niche and state that very clearly as soon as someone saw my website homepage. I felt the Fresnel Framework had the strongest presence in making my niche market stand out front and center.
3. Your site recently launched but already has an active blog in the form of your Knowledge Center. Could you share some of your current plans for your blog and content strategy?
I found out very quickly that I don’t enjoy writing. However, Twenty Over Ten does provide an extensive number of articles that are customizable and are immediately ready to post when you launch your site. This was very helpful to get some good content on the site right away. My current content strategy is starting a podcast and posting those under the Knowledge Center. My advice is to do what you enjoy. I discovered I much prefer to talk into a microphone rather than write. There are no rules to how you should create and post content!
4. Showing your personality on your site is a great way to connect with potential clients. And we appreciate that you went above and beyond, providing not only a bio but a list of favorites and interests on your About page. Do these interests ever come up in conversation with potential or current clients?
Believe it or not, they do! I recently had a client who is a retiree recommend a local cover band I should go see who plays music only from a band called Rush. He did this because he read on my bio that I’m a drummer and one of my favorite bands was Rush. So cool! Yes, we are professionals but I think having some fun posting your favorites/interests on your About Me page humanizes the user experience.
5. Social media is integral to the growth of your online presence and overall marketing strategy. We’ve noticed you’re active on Linkedin. Could you share a little bit about your choice of channels and approach to social media in terms of marketing?
Linkedin has been a great way for me to connect with other professional advisors who play a role in the exit planning process for small business owners. It’s not difficult for me to connect with other CPAs, attorneys, M&A advisors, or Certified Exit Planning Advisors who all play an integral role within my niche market.
6. If you could give other advisors looking to redesign their website just one piece of advice, what would it be?
Target a niche. The more specific, the better. Yes, it is scary because you are essentially saying “no” to a lot of people. But in the long run, that’s a good thing if you know what kind of business you want to build.
7. Was there any part of the website design process that you were not looking forward to or thought might be difficult that turned out to be better than you initially thought?
I put a lot of time into defining my target market and writing out from a high level the content for each page of the website. What I thought was going to be difficult is putting all my ideas in an organized manner on the internet and having them look professional. This is where the calls with the Copywriter and Designer from Twenty Over Ten really helped. They handled all of this and exceeded my expectations bringing my vision and ideas to life online.
8. How would you summarize your experience working with Twenty Over Ten?
It was a very well-thought-out process working with a copywriter and then going through the design process. It’s one thing to have ideas written down on a piece of paper but then to design it online into a user experience is so fulfilling when you see the final product. The Twenty Over Ten team was very responsive to my questions and adjustments that I wanted to be done throughout the entire process. Highly Recommend!
Struggling With What Content to Share on Social Media or via Email?
We are offering access to our content for advisors to use via Lead Pilot for 7-days completely free (even on our month-to-month plans).
About The Author
Stuart is a Content Marketing Specialist at Twenty Over Ten and enjoys creating content that both entertains and educates. A Game Designer at heart, he can be found pursuing one of his many hobbies during his free time.