We’re closing out February with another one of our amazing showcases. For today’s blog, we caught up with Mike Kelly, CFP®, CPC, founder of Kelly Financial Planning in Cincinnati, Ohio to find out more about his firm. We learned about the upcoming virtual events that they plan to start hosting, their social media strategy, marketing goals and a lot more.
The design process always keeps us on our toes, as each firm and their websites are unique. So, once everything has wrapped up, we love to find out how the advisors felt about the whole process. Keep reading to find out more about what Mike had to say and what’s in store for their firm.
1. To start, let’s talk about the background and history of Kelly Financial Planning.
I started Kelly Financial Planning after having a successful career in corporate America. Having always enjoyed the field of personal finance, I set a goal to at some point, start my own firm. During my time as an executive, I realized that many of my colleagues had an increased amount of stress, most of which related to money. Also, there appeared to be very little understanding of basic financial concepts.
Research also indicated the significant gap that existed in the African American community when it comes to the opportunity to receive objective and comprehensive financial coaching and advice. Kelly Financial Planning was created to fill these voids. I created a firm with a life-planning focus that offers hourly fee-only planning without minimums or net worth requirements. My firm does not sell products or receive commissions from mutual fund companies or brokerage houses. Owning my own firm allows me to operate in a way where my clients are truly my primary focus, as I focus only on what is in their best interest.
2. We noticed that you detail your process with our accordions feature. This increases visitor interaction as potential leads can click on topic headings to find out more about what they can expect when working with you. It not only shows transparency but also makes for a smoother user experience. What made you decide to use this feature on your website, and do you feel as though it has boosted the overall “feel” of your website?
The accordions feature provides a clean and uncluttered look. Prospective clients can navigate the site with ease and “drill down” on information that matters most to them. It helps to reduce the feeling of being overwhelmed, which many people feel when they are seeking financial advice and considering a relationship with a financial professional.
3.It’s great that you are using our one-click integration with Calendly. In fact, we conducted a survey in 2019, showing that advisors who get 6-10 or 11+ clients per year had a calendar link on their website. What type of success have you experienced since using this tool on your site?
With Calendly, I have had tremendous success. It has made it much easier for prospective clients and others to schedule a time for an introductory call. Because the process is seamless, it allows for more efficiency and organization with respect to scheduling.
4. We noticed that you have an “Events” section on your website, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, events for the foreseeable future have been halted. Do you have a plan for the future in terms of hosting events, such as going virtual? If so, can you please tell us a bit more?
Kelly Financial Planning will be introducing virtual events focused on providing educational sessions to corporate and small business clients and their employees. I also plan to schedule community educational and life-planning sessions for clients and prospective clients, who are interested in crystallizing their goals and increasing financial literacy.
5. Regularly blogging is no easy feat, especially as a busy advisor, so we applaud your efforts for keeping up with a consistent blogging schedule. Not only is it a great way to drive traffic to your website, but it shows that you are a thought-leader in the industry. Can you tell us more about your strategy and how you regularly create and publish content despite an already hectic schedule?
My goal is to write and publish one or two blog posts a month. I supplement this with content options offered by Twenty Over Ten. Periodically, I incorporate content that is made available and identify ideas from this wonderful resource that covers certain topics important to my clients and prospective clients alike.
6. Being active on social media is crucial to growing your online presence, and we noticed that you are active on The Big Three-Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Can you elaborate on your social media strategy and discuss how it has helped your firm to grow, especially as more people have turned to social to connect during the pandemic?
Social media, to me, is a marketing supplement and another “touchpoint”. I have found that many people check social media to confirm legitimacy as an individual and organizationally. Having a presence on social media also allows others to become introduced to my values, philosophy and business acumen.
7. Including a comprehensive FAQ page on your advisory website is a great way to boost the overall user experience for your site visitors, so we were excited to see that you have one on your site. Have you noticed that you get fewer questions upfront or visitors that are more prepared due to this section?
Prospective clients have shared with me that they reached out to me after having reviewed the FAQ page of my website. It appealed to them and after reviewing it, they felt certain that I was a fiduciary firm. I still get questions, but they are fewer than I received prior to including the comprehensive FAQ page. It also allows me to direct clients thereafter an introductory meeting for answers to questions that may not have arisen during our session. It includes questions that should be asked of any advisor that a prospective client might consider. By providing answers, potential clients have a means of comparing the services my firm provides to others.
8. The future of the financial industry is rapidly evolving, and this has been made even more evident in the last year. Where do you see your firm headed in the next five years, and what plans do you have in terms of marketing and growth?
In the next five years, I see my firm growing, as I take even more of a life planning and coaching-oriented approach. An increasing number of clients are seeking the unbiased client-focused services my firm offers. I also see a growing need for goals-based planning. This involves assisting clients with crystallizing their most important goals and structuring their finances in a way that they are better able to achieve them.
I am excited about the potential that exists in this area, which aligns with my values and desire to positively impact the lives of others through my business. My intention is to integrate this focus more intentionally as I market my firm. Additionally, I plan to incorporate video into my marketing strategy.
Twenty Over Ten has been a great partner to me. My website now supplements some of the business development work that I do.
-Mike Kelly CFP®, CPC, Kelly Financial Planning
9. What is one piece of advice that you would share with advisors that are looking to redesign their website?
Research and evaluate organizations that specialize in serving financial advisors. Have a vision of what you want your brand to be. Twenty Over Ten has been a great partner to me. My website now supplements some of the business development work that I do. I am able to focus my attention on things that are important to satisfying and providing exceptional service to my clients.
Looking to Boost Your Brand?
We are offering access to our content for advisors to use via Lead Pilot for 7-days completely free (even on our month-to-month plans).
About the author
Blair is a digital marketing assistant at Twenty Over Ten and has a passion for uncovering what drives online traffic and the highest engagement. She follows more animals on Instagram than humans and her greatest achievement is her daughter, Grey.